Three Healthy, Easy Recipes for Winter Vegetables

It might be spring as far as the solar system is concerned, but that I think we can agree that is a delusion. The weather, while no longer technically colder than a polar bear’s poop chute, is still completely unpleasant. But never fear. I have compiled three of my favorite vegetable recipes–easy, healthy dishes, road tested in my own kitchen–that have gotten me through this unusually heinous winter. And now I’m going to share them with you, cause we all know there is no excuse for not cooking fartloads of yummy healthy vegetables on the regs, and because you totally asked.

Roasted Beets with Arugula and Blue Cheese

Beet-Arugula-Salad3 medium-sized beets
1 bag pre-washed arugula
1/4 lb blue cheese, crumbled
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

  1. Purchase beets at the co-op.
  2. Upon arriving home, realize you forgot to buy cheese.
  3. Reject the idea of roasting beets without cheese, as husband is only eating the beets with cheese because you’re snotty about it, and probably can’t manage to swallow plain beets.
  4. Buy cheese at next trip to co-op.
  5. Use cheese as topping for popcorn.
  6. Forget to buy cheese for three subsequent trips to co-op.
  7. At next trip to Costco, suddenly remember urgent need for blue cheese. Buy only available quantity.
  8. Return home triumphant, to discover beets have gone squishy and gross. Discard beets.
  9. Stare gormlessly at 1.5 pound tub of Gorgonzola.
  10. Make popcorn.

Warm Herbed Carrot Salad

1 lb baby carrotsCarrot-Salad
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic
3 fresh basil leaves
Kosher salt and pepper to taste

  1. Begin as you would to roast carrots. Toss carrots in olive oil to coat, adding minced garlic and fresh basil, salt and pepper.
  2. Place in oven at 450 degrees for one hour.
  3. After 20 minutes, lose patience. Remove carrots from oven, and rechristen dish Warm Herbed Carrot Salad. Serve immediately.

Perfect Steamed Broccoli

Did you know that boiling vegetables leeches 62% of all nutrients into the cooking Broccoliwater you pour down the drain? I got that figure from the guy selling juicers at Costco. Steaming is a great way to use less water and keep all that nutritiony goodness. Light, crispy steamed vegetables are easy when you have a rice cooker with a steaming tray. Follow these instructions to cook broccoli florets so adorable you’ll feel conflicted about eating them.

1 medium head of broccoli
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

  1. Chop the broccoli head into small florets, and the stem into 1/2-inch wheels.
  2. Place the chopped broccoli into the steaming tray.
  3. Realize the volume of the broccoli is roughly three times the volume of the tray.
  4. Mutter “I don’t have time for this,” dump the broccoli into a pot of water and bring to a boil.
  5. Pour 62% of your nutrients into the sink, and serve the remaining 38% with olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste.

Image credits:

Beets: Muy Yum via photopin cc
Carrots: jazzijava via photopin cc
Broccoli: meg’s my name via photopin cc

Advertisements

Your turn...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s